Applicants who wish to participate in a Korean language training program for more than a month must obtain an appropriate visa depending on their nationality and language training periods. Documents required for visa issuance (certificate of admission, tuition payment receipt, certificate of business registration) are issued by the Korean Language Center, three months prior to the registered program’s starting date. The required documents and period of visa issuance are different from countries. Applicants must check the information about visa issuance in advance at the Korean Consulate in their residence.
Those who from no-visa entry countries or with Korean citizenship or already have a visa (D-2 from Korea University, F Type visa and etc) which can be used for a language training can take the Korean course without change of visa.
|Short-term General Visa (C-3-1)||Language Training (D-4-1) Visa||No-Visa Entry|
|Target||Students enrolled for 1 semester||Students enrolled for 2 semesters(6 months) or more||Students from countries with a 90-day stay permit among visa waiver countries|
|Period of Stay||Can not be extended Stay up to 90days||The visa period is determined based on the period of enrolment.
If students register for one year, 6-month visa period will be given, after which, students need to extend their visa.
Can be extended Stay up to 2 years
|Notice||If the period of training is extended, students need to change their visa to a language training (D-4-1) visa A tourist (C-3-2) visa cannot be changed to a language training visa.||Among those who came to Korea without a visa, only Japanese, American, and Australian students can apply for a language training visa in Korea.
Other nationalities should leave and reenter Korea, or apply for a visa outside Korea.
|Alien Registration||How to Apply||Visit the local Immigration Office (Seoul-South Immigration Office)(required to make visit reservation in advance)|
|Required documents||1. Application
3. 1 colour photo (3.5㎝ × 4.5㎝)
4. Certificate of attendance
5. Copy of housing contract or Dormitory residence Certificate
6. Fee: KRW 30,000
|Note||- Register yourself within 90 days of entry. If not, you will be fined.
- If you leave Korea during your study, you must possess the Alien Registration card.
- (In case of Chinese, you cannot leave China and your visa is invalid if you do not possess it.)
If you lose the visa, you must apply for re-issuance. You must return the visa to the Immigration officers in the airport when you leave Korea after finishing your study.
|How to Apply||1. Online application ( www.hikorea.go.kr)
2. Visit the local Immigration Office (required to make visit reservation in advance)
(Permission for Extension of Stay)
|Required Documents||1. Application
2. Alien Registration card
3. Certificate of attendance
4. Tuition receipt
5. Copy of housing contract or Accommodation payment receipt
※ If you didn't have a contract with your name, you need to bring a copy of the contracted person's ID card.
6. Fee: KRW 50,000 for online/ KRW 60,000 for visit
|Note||- You can extend a visa 4 months before the expiration date.
-You can extend a visa on the website from 4 months to 1 working day before the expiration date.
- You can make a visit reservation 4 months before the date you want.
- March and September are peak times and are filled early.
- You will be fined when you extend a visa after the expiration date.
- Visa extension may be limited if the attendance is under 70% since 2018, Oct 1st.
- You will be fined if you do not follow the visa regulations. You may be deported if you are fined 3 times.
- Depending on the individual and their situation, the required documents may differ.
- Each student is responsible for all matters regarding visas. (Alien Registration card, visa extension, etc.)
- Immigration Counselling Contact Phone no.: 1345
- Seoul Southern Immigration Office
- Address: 2nd-3rd Floors, Mokdongdong-ro 151, Yangchun-gu, Seoul, Korea
- Direction : Exit 7, Subway Line 5 Omog-kyo Station
- Office Hours : 09:00 A.M ~ 18:00 P.M
- Reservation first before the visit. (Online reservation : www.hikorea.go.kr)
Alien Registration Card Application
- If you plan to stay in Korea for more than 90 days – must obtain foreign ID card. ID card must be obtained within period of current stay before expiration date indicated in VISA (Must pay fine if issued after 90 days of stay)
Alien Registration Subject
Foreigners who intend to stay longer than 90 days from the date of entry into the Republic of Korea
Application for Alien registration card (ID card)
Must obtain ID card within 90 days from arrival date. The alien registration card is used as a foreigner personal document/passport in Korea. The applicant will visit the Seoul Southern immigration office and apply for it. Fingerprint will be registered when during application.
- Application form (Immigration Office Form No.34)
- Original Passport (valid date – before expiration)
- One copy of passport
- Photo for passport – one colour photo (3.5cm x 4.5cm, white background)
- Certificate of enrolment for study program; Certificate of proof for tuition fee payment (prepared by the university)
- Health certificate, tuberculosis certificate (to obtain visit general hospital)
- Confirmation of residence (confirmation of real estate contract and residence confirmation)
- Commission fee 30,000 won
University administration will guide and help to apply for Alien registration card.
Issuance of Medical Certificate
Students from the following countries must be issued for a health certificate.
- Countries : Nepal, Russia, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Sri Lanka Uzbekistan, India, Indonesia, China, Cambodia, Thailand, Pakistan, Philippines
- ID Photo
- Fee: 300 won
The Issuing Centre and Procedure
- Guro-gu health center